[Tutor] TKinter Question

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Tue Nov 8 11:23:26 CET 2005

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:10:16 -0600
Rob Dowell <rob at customdatasoft.com> wrote:

> Just a quick TKinter question. Is it possible to have custom
> frames/widgets? In other words can I customize the way that the GUI
> looks (i.e. rounded corners on the frames, beveled/raised edges, etc.) I
> was just wondering if it was possible and if it is possible then where I
> might get some information on how to do it. Thank you very much, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure what you mean with "beveled/raised edges" , maybe setting the widget's
relief to GROOVE or RIDGE does what you want?
Rounded corners are much more complicated; you will probably need the shape extension for Tk
which adds non-rectangular window support to Tk.
A version of shape that works with unix systems is included in the tkdnd drag and drop extension
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/tkdnd); I wrote a Tkinter wrapper for tkdnd (http://www.8ung.at/klappnase/TkinterDnD/TkinterDnD.html)
that makes it possible to use tkdnd from python. If you need windows support, you can try
a newer version of shape (http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/tcl/shapeidx.html) that seems to support
windows platforms, too.

Regards

Michael