[Tutor] python watchfolder as daemon

"Frank Hoffsümmer" captnswing at gmx.net
Thu Nov 10 15:50:07 CET 2005

Hello all,
I found this gem of a python recipe that allows me to monitor a hierarchy of
folders on my filesystem for additions / changes / removals of files:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/215418

I would like to monitor a folder hierarchy using this script but now I
wonder what would be the best way to have this watchfolder script running at
all times in the background?

nohup python watchfolder.py myfolder &

? would that be suitable?? or is there a way to launch a process like that
from python that detaches itself from the shell?
what would be the best way, any insight or recommendation is very much
appreciated
thanks,
-frank