[Tutor] Who called me?

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.net
Fri Nov 11 01:55:05 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005, Kent Johnson wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>>The problem I'm working on now is to have our client's machines connect to
>>our XML-RPC server in cron jobs which will do at least two things, check to
>>see if their dynamic IP address has changed so we can update DNS for them,
>>and/or let our system know they're still alive and functioning.
>
>If you have control of the code on the client machines you could just have
>them add their IP address to the parameters they send the server...

The problem is that the clients are often on dynamic IP addresses behind a
router/firewall that's doing NAT (Network Address Translation) so they
don't know their IP address.  One of the primary reasons for doing this is
to be able to easily and automatically detect when a dynamic IP address has
changed so we can update the DNS, postfix rules, etc. so we know where the
client is.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
means now.
-- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)