[Tutor] output question

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 12 19:11:47 CET 2005

> > So, you're successfull opening a file. Now, you need to read it
> >
> > for line in fsock:
> >    print line
> >
> > Have a play with those.
> it works! thanks!

Hi Shi Mu,

Ok, but let's go back to your original question now, just to make sure
we've learned something.  You asked earlier:

> from the code:
> try:
>     fsock = open("c:/TEMP/hello.txt")
> except IOError:
>     print "The file does not exist, exiting gracefully"
> print "Yes!!! This line will always print"
>
> it means the code found there is hello.txt, why it does not show on the
> output.

Do you know now why the original code didn't do what you want?  Can you
explain why?  I know it's seems like a silly question, but we are trying
to avoid a cargo-cult attitude here.  What knowledge did you learn?

Again, I'm really not getting any sense whatsoever of knowing why you had
difficulty here.  Personally, if I run into difficulty with a problem,
even if I hack out something that "works", I'm not satisified until I
understand the reasons why I got stuck.  I've been bitten too many times
by being satisifed by the "right" answer for the wrong reasons.  *grin*