[Tutor] Another Quick Question

Steve Haley sfhaley at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 14 07:29:19 CET 2005

Folks,

I'm one of the people new to Python who has started going through a
beginner's book to learn the basics of the language ("Python Programming for
the Absolute Beginner").  In the second chapter the author (Michael Dawson)
illustrates the use of escape sequences with, among other things, the "\a"
to sound the system bell.  However, when I run the little program myself,
the program runs but I get no sound - all is get is the word BEL in while
letters on a blue background.  I've turned the volume up all the way and
still no sound.  I know the speakers on my laptop work because I just
finished my daily session trying to learn a little Spanish which involves
sound.

I went to the language reference which also seems to indicate I should get a
sound with exactly what the author is saying.  The exact line is:

print "\a"

I'm not sure why but this kind of thing bothers me.  Can anyone suggest why
my laptop won't produce a bell?  Does the fact that I'm running version 2.1
have something to do with it?  Does my laptop have something against me and
just doesn't want to ring its bell for me? (just kidding with that last one)

Thanks in advance.

Steve