[Tutor] question about serial coms

Hugo González Monteverde hugonz-lists at h-lab.net
Mon Nov 14 19:35:50 CET 2005

Hi Nephish,

Are you using pyserial or rolling your own? Normally you can write and
read to the /dev/ttySXX file at the same time; since they're special
files, not ordinary files, the driver handles that.

Handling both writing and reading in your program's flow control is a
wholly different matter, though. You might  need to use select()  to
avoid blocking.

Are you using two completely different scripts for reding and writing?

There is some valuable info, if not about python, in the Serial
Programming howto, at:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Programming-HOWTO/

Hugo