[Tutor] Favourite modules - Wiki Was Re: TurboGears - and some issues

Ron Phillips RPhillips at engineer.co.summit.oh.us
Tue Nov 15 14:33:51 CET 2005

Kent Johnson wrote:

>Maybe we should start a thread of favorite addons. For me, Jason
Orendorff's path module is definitely #1 on the list, probably followed
by Fredrik Lundh's ElementTree.
> http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/python/path/
> http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

A wonderful idea! I have created a wiki page in Python.org with a list

of such 'favourite' modules.
Please take a look:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/UsefulModules

I put some of the modules I could remember being praised here. I hope I

didn't miss any (well, save for web frameworks, I haven't been paying
much attention)

I hope I haven't made a mess, it was my first edit into python's wiki.
wasn't sure where to stick it, so I added it under DevelopmentTools.

I hope the page helps somebody!
(Today I'm "hopey" :)

Bye,
Ismael
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is a good idea, and a nice page. Another would be to implement
some "social tagging" as on del.icio.us. It's kind of a popularity
contest, but that's really what's wanted here, I think. OTOH, the wiki
is probably the first place anyone would look, and I saw most of the
modules I already use, and I learned about a couple that look very
promising.

One that I use a lot is Amara
(http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/manual) for making xml more
pythonic. Not to take anything away from ElementTree, it's a fine
package; but I find Amara easier to use. Some others that seem
'missing': PIL and NumPy. I didn't try to put it on the wiki page
because I wanted the tutors to have a chance to comment first.

Anyway, thanks for the page. I have it bookmarked!

Ron