[Tutor] Creating Tkinter Menubars

Double Six doublesix at ureach.com
Tue Nov 15 22:17:53 CET 2005

Hi,

I am testing the following Tkinter code (attached at the end of
this message) by Fredrik Lundh on a Mac OS X 10.4.2 with Python
version 2.3. I do get a root window, but it is totally blank
without the desirable menubars such as File and Edit. What am I
missing?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

=========

from Tkinter import *

class AppUI(Frame):

    def __init__(self, master=None):
        Frame.__init__(self, master, relief=SUNKEN, bd=2)

        self.menubar = Menu(self)

        menu = Menu(self.menubar, tearoff=0)
        self.menubar.add_cascade(label="File", menu=menu)
        menu.add_command(label="New")

        menu = Menu(self.menubar, tearoff=0)
        self.menubar.add_cascade(label="Edit", menu=menu)
        menu.add_command(label="Cut")
        menu.add_command(label="Copy")
        menu.add_command(label="Paste")

        try:
            self.master.config(menu=self.menubar)
        except AttributeError:
            # master is a toplevel window (Python 1.4/Tkinter
1.63)
            self.master.tk.call(master, "config", "-menu",
self.menubar)

        self.canvas = Canvas(self, bg="white", width=400,
height=400,
                             bd=0, highlightthickness=0)
        self.canvas.pack()

root = Tk()