[Tutor] smtplib alternative???

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 20 08:03:04 CET 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Adisegna wrote:

> I found this script to send mail online. It works fine but requires me
> to enter an mail server. I'm looking for something else that doesn't
> require and SMTP server. Having to specify a mail server prohibits me
> from sending to alternate domains.

Hi Adisegna,

I've always assumed that emails have to talk with some SMTP server.
RFC821 seems to confirm this:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

so what you're asking, to be able to send mail without an SMTP server, may
not be possible.  There is an 'smtpd' module that comes with Python:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-smtpd.html

I'm also not sure I understand the reason you're trying to avoid talking
to an outside smtp server.  But again, I'm unfamiliar enough with how the
SMTP email protocol really works that perhaps I'm just overlooking
something.