[Tutor] smtplib alternative???

Python python at venix.com
Mon Nov 21 02:03:04 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 09:26 -0500, Adisegna wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> Yes, when sending an email your mail client will always send the email
> to the mail server specified by the MX record in the authoritive
> domain. Usually the domain specificed after the @ symbol. The problem
> with smtplib is that I have to specify the mail server I'm sending
> email too.
No.  It is asking you to specify the server that the email will be
coming from.

Your email to the list went through the gmail server.  If you look at
the email headers, you will see entries from the mail servers that
handled the message.  Your local smtp server will handle the MX lookups.

Simply specify the mail server provided by the ISP that provides your
Internet connection, if you do not run a mail server yourself.

> What if I wanted to send an email to 3 different people on three
> different domains hosted by 3 different mail servers? Smtlib prohibits
> this functionality. Do you see what I mean now...?
>
> Thanks for replying...

If you have a conventional email program (e.g. Thunderbird, Evolution,
Outlook Express) then the smtp server listed in that config should work
with your Python script.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp