[Tutor] TRULY NEWBIE - MENTOR NEEDED (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 25 23:08:56 CET 2005

> Dan, what I meant was that the program does not run. Why?

Hi Mike,

We don't have enough information.  I have to ask more questions to have a
better idea what's going on.  Also, please send your replies to the tutor
list: don't send them to me directly.

What do expect to see when your program runs?  Are there other programs
that you've run that do things?  What do you mean when the program doesn't
run?  What are you doing to "run" the program?

The class definition that you're showing us looks bizarre as a first
program example.  If you're really starting from scratch, I'd recommend
starting with an easier tutorial.

If you're starting from scratch, you may want to go through one of the
tutorials in:

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

I have no familiarity with the book you quote, but from the web site:

    http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/

and from the statement in the foward here:

    http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/

the author explicitely says that the book's audience is experienced
programmers!  It won't go out of it's way to talk about issues that affect
beginner programmers, because that book expects you to already know basic
Python programming.  That is why I'm encouraging you to look at another
tutorial from the Non Programmers section.

Good luck to you!