[Tutor] Trouble with classes - Pypeg again

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Nov 28 21:09:35 CET 2005

(replying on-list)

->Terry<- wrote:
> Thanks alot Kent. I really appreciate you taking
> the time to respond. I'm taking your suggestions
> and adding a bunch more reading to it. Hopefully
> it will start to sink in. d:^)
>
> Any recommended reading?

I recommend Robert Martin's "Agile Software Development: Principles, Patterns, and Practices"
http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/bookstore/books/AgileSoftwareDevelopmentPPP

This is the best book I know for learning object-oriented design the way I do it ;)
- a very agile, pragmatic approach. It shows you the nitty-gritty details of how to create classes as you develop a solution. Also a good introduction to the agile development style.

Much of the content of the book is available as essays on the ObjectMentor website: http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/listArticles?key=author&author=Robert%20C.%20Martin

Before the Martin book came out my favorite was "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John M. Vlissides. This is the book that started the design pattern movement. The patterns are instructive in their own right and also serve as examples of good object-oriented design.
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0201633612,00.html

Kent
--
http://www.kentsjohnson.com