[Tutor] Read Excel file without COM

wkranec@gmail.com wkranec at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:58:57 CET 2005

Hi,

I have written a script which reads a Microsoft Excel file and moves
the data inside onto a database.  The script uses the PyWin32 module
written by Mark Hammond, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way
to extract the data without using COM.  A Python module would be best,
but I suppose any conversion program that could be called from Python
would be satisfactory.

Saving the file as .csv isn't really an option since there are
multiple pages in the sheet, and the people sending the files have
been somewhat "standardized" to send an Excel sheet.  I have thought
briefly about using xml, but this would require me to rewrite a lot of
my code, and I would like to avoid this unless there are some other
good reasons to do so.

I think I found a good resource at
http://chicago.sourceforge.net/devel/docs/excel/, but it doesn't
include any Python code.  Does anyone know of something similar for
Python?

Thanks,

Bill