[Tutor] More than one thing at a time?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Oct 1 13:36:02 CEST 2005

Kent Johnson wrote:
> Joseph Quigley wrote:
>
>>Hi, I've got a problem:
>>I've got a semi working IRC client. There's a function that is for
>>receiving and one for sending. How can I have a loop where I can receive
>>messages, yet still have a send prompt?
>

> you need to learn about threads. which I don't seem to have the
> energy to explain this week, but hopefully a tiny pointer helps.
> There have been a few discussions recently on the list.

Here are a couple of tutor threads with good material about Python threads:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2005-August/040831.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2004-November/033247.html

Another way to do what you want is to use Twisted; this is touched on in the second thread above.

Kent