[Tutor] Trying to prevent ftplib from locking my script

Andrew P grouch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 23:26:25 CEST 2005

Normally I wouldn't pipe up here because threads really can be very tricky.
But check out:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/435883

I use this recipe, originally from "Python in a Nutshell", all the time, to
solve exactly your problem. Slow network stuff that I don't have to/want to
babysit.

The recipe is well-commented, with an easy-to-follow usage example.
Basically though, Python's Queue module really takes away a lot of the
trickiness here, acting as a thread-safe place to put jobs, and put results,
without worrying about locks or sephamores or whatever it is people worry
about. And the callback functions you can pass in with the job may be all
you really need to report success/failure of the jobs.

All in all, it's probably easier to just read the code.

Good luck.