[Tutor] Python Shell Not Saved Problem

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 01:14:32 CEST 2005

> Also, someone advised that the Shell window not be used that way anyway.
> think I agree and will operate from Pythonwin from now on.

The same applies in Pythonwin. You cannot run the interactive shell buffer
because Python will try to execute all the output from the commands - they
get executed as soon as you type them. You run programs from the text
buffers
and the output appears in the shell window.

The typical way of working is:
- start the IDE(IDLE or Pythonwin)
- from the Shell buffer default window use File->Open(or New) to
  open a new code editor window
- from the new window use Run to execute the code in the current edit pane.
- look at the output in the shell window/pane

You don't need to close the window between runs just save the code and
rerun it.

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor