[Tutor] Handling Objects

Andrew P grouch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 05:35:57 CEST 2005

To do:

$color = "Green";
print "$color apple.\n";

You would want:

color = "Green"
print "%s apple." % color

Both of which would print "Green apple." That is actually something I like
about Perl, but it reinforces some bad habits, at least for me. Boilerplate
coding, as it were, when doing quick and dirty web stuff, which always ends
up growing! That and inline regex will probably be the hardest thing to get
used to.

Good luck with Python, but you really won't need it. I wrote a script in
Perl today to show a friend how to do something, and it reinforced the
amazing amount of -stuff- you need to remember to use Perl, and the
mind-draining way you can't type without thinking about which way you will
type it. I swear it scares people away from other languages for life :)

Python will be much, much easier to learn. And hopefully you'll spend more
time typing what you want, than deciding how you should type it, while doing
the exact same things you always did.