[Tutor] Did anyone get the Kamaelia "Conversing" chapter 5 to work?

Michael Sparks zathras at thwackety.com
Fri Oct 7 03:23:32 CEST 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 00:13, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
> I can see in Pythonwin's debugger that p.boxes['outbox'] fills up with
> the hundred or so messages intended for display, but they never get
> displayed. I suspect an indentation problem, but I can't spot it, even
> stepping through in the debugger.

Hi!

First of all thanks for trying the tutorial - hope it's been interesting. I'm
sorry you hit a problem with it - it looks like the HTML formatting has
caused some issues :-(

All the code and examples used were tested before the being placed into the
"tabbed" version of the tutorial. In this case it looks like the whitespace
has gone horribly horribly wrong on that tab :-((( I'll sort it out.

In the meantime though, In case of precisely this problem occuring, I also
placed that source for all 4 main sections (Standing, Walking, Talking,
Conversing) in the following page here:

http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/MiniAxonFull.html

I've just double checked what happens when running the contents of that
page, and it works as expected (here at least), so I suspect the problems
you're seeing are simply due to "code being in HTML" issues.

Also, the entire tutorial is available as a single page here, rather than
tabbed:
    * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/MiniAxon.html

But that has the answers inline, which is why I didn't mention it before. That
*does* appear to have formatting preserved correctly in firefox, and I've
also just double checked that when copying and pasting that the stated
results were the ones stated.

Hoping this helps, and thanks! If you're willing to spare a few sentances of
how you found the tutorial (on or off list), I'd be really interested in
hearing. If it's difficult, what was difficult (naff HTML for example...), if
it was clear/unclear, that sort of thing. That said, this query is useful
feedback in itself :)

Best Regards, (and apologies for the HTML formatting ... :-(

Michael.
--
Michael Sparks, Senior R&D Engineer, Digital Media Group
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk, http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/

This e-mail may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC.