[Tutor] Simple Tkinter question (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 7 19:40:27 CEST 2005

[Keeping Tutor in CC]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Cheponis <mac at Wireless.Com>
To: Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Simple Tkinter question (fwd)

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Danny Yoo wrote:

> Ok, that works too.  Another variation on your approach is the
> update_idletasks() method, which like update() should handle all the
> graphic-updating commands that are queued up for the GUI.  There's a
> little more in:

Yeah, the instant after I sent you that msg, I tried update_idletasks and it worked, too, so I switched to using that.

>    http://effbot.org/zone/tkinter-performance.htm
>    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tkinter-discuss/2005-June/000464.html

Thanks, very helpful.

> that talks about what kind of GUI tasks are considered "idle", and when
> you might want to call update() or update_idletasks().
>

> The issue with update() is that while the program is sleeping, GUI
> interaction, like button presses, will be ineffective, since we're still
> not relinquishing control back to the GUI.

> This may or may not be a problem for you.  You've probably seen programs
> in the real world whose GUIs lag and drag when they do a lot of work.  If
> that kind of program behavior annoys you, then you'll probably want to
> search for another solution in your own programs.  *grin*

Yeah, one of those references says to _insert_ calls to update_idletasks to get the GUI to be more responsive.

I wish I understood Tkinter better; I've looked at most of the on-line stuff, and I think I have every Python book ever printed, but some Tk stuff still seems mysterious.

well, after I deliver this one program with Tk, I think I'm going to switch to wxPython for future GUI front-ends.

Thanks again,

-Mike