[Tutor] New Python book

Michael Sparks zathras at thwackety.com
Fri Oct 7 23:57:29 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 19:20, Kent Johnson wrote:
> This seems to be an update to his previous book, "Practical Python", rather
> than a completely new book. The TOC is almost identical. I haven't read the
> earlier book, either, so I don't have an opinion. The same sample chapter
> is available for each if anyone wants to compare. (see www.apress.com)

My wife bought me 'Practical Python' for my birthday last year. I found it to
be a very readable style and interesting. I quite like reading books aimed
at beginners/novices/etc because it normally results in a fresh view of
subjects that I feel are done and dusted.

The thing I find particularly interesting about the approach is the 'project
oriented' approach in the latter half of the book.  I found the GUI chapters
to be relatively useless to me.

Having downloaded the sources to the examples for this update though it looks
like he's using wx extensively throughout, which strikes me as both a good &
bad choice. Good in that wx is pretty good, bad in that using Tk would IMO be
better since python ships with Tk. That's highly subjective though.

Best Regards,

Michael.