[Tutor] Please look at my wordFrequency.py

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Wed Oct 12 17:35:57 CEST 2005

Alan Gauld wrote at 06:00 10/12/2005:
> > See Also:Mastering Regular Expressions Book on regular expressions by
> > Jeffrey Friedl, published by O'Reilly. The second edition of the book no
> > longer covers Python at all, but the first edition covered writing good
> > regular expression patterns in great detail. "
> >
> > So I'd like to ask if there is agreement about the value of this book,
>
>This is the bible of regular expressions, without peer.
>
> > and if the 1st is really better that the 2nd ed. for regex in Python.
>
>DEbateable, the second covers some more modern additions to the RE catalog
>but misses Python out. The first inclyudes Python but misses the
>atest/greatest.
>Either edition is invaluable, you only need one so if you have the first
>don't
>worry about getting the second IMHO.

Thanks for the advice.

> > further information and a gentler presentation, consult the Regular
> > Expression HOWTO, accessible from
> > <http://www.python.org/doc/howto/>http://www.python.org/doc/howto/."
>
>If you want an even gentler intro - really an intro to the intro - look at
>the
>RE page on my tutorial. It covers the very basic concepts.

Looks great! http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld

The regex HOWTO, above, mentions, in section 3.3, a tool that comes with
Python 2.4 for practicing/testing regex. Tools/scripts/redemo.py . Can
you recommend this? And how about Kodos? (<http://kodos.sourceforge.net/>)

Dick