[Tutor] launching and monitor from make

Michael P. Reilly arcege at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:59:51 CEST 2005

On 10/12/05, Ertl, John <john.ertl at fnmoc.navy.mil> wrote:
> I have a very simple python program that reads one file and overwrites
> anouther text file. This workes great from the command line and it has
> error checking but just outputs messages and the like to the screen.
> The CM team here would like to have the script run each week as part of
> the
> automated rebuilds. The suggestion was to make the execution of the scritp
> part of the bigger programs make file. How would I handel errors when the
> program is run from a makefile? I hate make so I have not done a lot of
> playing with what make can do in this respect but can python get an error
> message to make?

In general, you want error messages to go to sys.stderr and you want to
return an error code other than zero.

Send messages to stderr:
print >>sys.stderr, message

Return error code
raise SystemExit(1)

At this point, make will respond to errors correctly. You can use make's -k
option to ignore them, but the error messages still go the same place as
other programs.

There's so many different worlds,
So many different suns.
And we have just one world,