[Tutor] Problem with Winpdb.

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Oct 13 11:51:04 CEST 2005

Steve Robb wrote:
> Can anyone point me to what the problem may be with running Winpdb?
>
> I am running Win98, unfortunately
>
> However, when I try,
> ..\python _winpdb.py, from the same directory, I get the following
> traceback.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\winpdb.py", line 607, in calc_path
>     app_data = os.environ['APPDATA']
>   File "C:\PYTHON24\lib\os.py", line 422, in __getitem__
>     return self.data[key.upper()]
> KeyError: 'APPDATA'

winpdb seems to be looking for an environment variable (APPDATA) that is not supported on Win 98. As a workaround you could replace line 606 in C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\winpdb.py which says
        if os.name == 'nt':
with
        if os.name == 'nt' and os.environ.has_key('APPDATA'):

This will make winpdb create its settings file in the current directory with the name winpdb_settings.cfg.

Reporting this as a bug on SourceForge is also a good idea.

Kent