[Tutor] python ncurses vs OS X Tiger's xterms.

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.net
Fri Oct 14 20:30:08 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005, Alan Gauld wrote:
>Bill this is a guess but try setting the terminal type to vt220
>or vt330 or similar rather than xterm. Does that make any difference?

I haven't tried fiddling the terminal type, and would prefer not
to unless it's the last resort.

>curses uses the termcap database to determine how int interacts with
>the keyboard so changing the terminal type to somethingwell defined
>might make a difference?

The ncurses libraries support termcap, but I think that all
current versions of curses use terminfo which has many more
options under ncurses than the original AT&T versions had.

I suspect that the problem is more related to keyboard mappings
in the Apple X11 implementation than it does with the terminfo
and terminal type settings as the same applications work fine
from Linux desktops.  I've looked into xmodmap, and the X
Resources that xterms support, but it would be much nicer if
there is something I can handle in my python ncurses routines
than if I have to dig into the keyboard mapping stuff.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``It's not what you pay a man but what he costs you that counts.''
    Will Rogers