[Tutor] IDLE will not appear under Win95 (Python 2.4.2)

Dave Shea skylark at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 15 12:31:47 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm very new to Python. Today I downloaded the python-2.4.2.msi file from
www.python.org

I had previously installed the up-to-date Windows installer as instructed.

Python installed without a complaint. However, when I fire up IDLE, there is
an hour glass shown for a couple of seconds, then nothing else happens. When
I fire up Python (command line) no problem, the DOS box opens and Python
starts. I've tried re-starting, using Explorer instead of the Start menu,
all the usual voodoo but still the IDLE refuses to start.

I'm sure that I'm missing something simple here, but cannot see what it is.
I've tried uninstalling, giving the registry a good going over with Nortons
and re-installing all to no avail. Python works very well in command line
mode but the IDLE does not seem to want to start.

Any thoughts?

I had thought that this entry in the FAQ might be a clue but the Microsoft
Knowledge Base article it refers to does not appear to exist (any more ?).
Then again, it may be nothing to do with my actual IDLE problem.
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows.html#id15

I look forward to receiving any help

Cheers.

Dave Shea