[Tutor] IDLE will not appear under Win95 (Python 2.4.2)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 00:12:09 CEST 2005

> Python installed without a complaint. However, when I fire up IDLE, there
> is
> an hour glass shown for a couple of seconds, then nothing else happens.

Personally, since you are on Windows, I'd try using Pythonwin instead.
In most respects its a better tool that IDLE but only works on Windows.

Its part of the winall package that you need to download separately to
Python, but you'll need it if you want to do anything windows specific
anyway!

> mode but the IDLE does not seem to want to start.

As a matter of interest what happens when you type this at the
command prompt:

>>> from Tkinter import *
>>> top = Tk()
>>> Label(top,text='Hello world').pack()
>>> top.mainloop()

It should display the label in a small window which you can close
using the usual windows control widget.
If that works it means Tkinter(upon which IDLE is built) is working OK
If not it might be worth a reinstall to try and get Tkinter working.

HTH,

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor