[Tutor] : Threads?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 01:29:17 CEST 2005

> in mind, I thought, why not try to use threads so all the conversions
> happen simultaneously?  That way, the whole album will take between 30
> and 50 seconds.

One possible problem with this is that the activity is disk IO bound.
In fact using too many threads could even slow the thing down as
the HD head spends all its time shunting between files.

If you keep the thread count down to two or three you might get
a noticable improvement but one thread per track, unless you have
a lot of separate hard disk spindles to distribute the work will
not help much I suspect.

Alan G.