[Tutor] Help(!) with OOP/Composition from "Learning Python"

CPIM Ronin ronin_cpim at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 20:10:01 CEST 2005

>I've been reading about composition vs inheritance, and went back to
>"Learning Python" to look at something I found very confusing a year
>ago.  Turns out I still find it very confusing :)

Try this example ecology simulation by Kirby Urner:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-April/000306.html

It does have a bug or two in it, but I was able to find and fix them by
myself. But the bugs are discussed here if you get stuck:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2003-March/002742.html

and here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2003-March/002744.html

Still, simple as it is, it gave me a much more profound grasp of Python
based OOP than any of Learning Python's examples. I suspect the following
book might be superb for leaning OOP:

Game Programming With Python (Game Development Series) (Paperback) by Sean
Riley

In short, study actual simulations (of which games are a major subset)!

RC