[Tutor] py in a nut

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 22:23:56 CEST 2005

> I noticed that the Python in a Nutshell book is version 2.2 and a few
> years
> old. Does anyone know if there are plans to bring out a new edition

Disclaimer: I know nothing of O'Reilly or Alex Martelli's plans!
But from experience of my own book it takes a good year to 18 months
to do a full re-edit and all the other pre publication chores.

Given the book only came out in 2003 I'd be surprised to see an
update before next year... The problem is that open source software
tends to change so quickly an author can't hope to keep up.
My book started out when Python v1.5.2 was the latest stable release,
by the time it got published it was Python 2.0 and an alpha of 2.1 was
available! I put v2.0 on the CD but the text stayed at 1.5.2

The good news is that with Python 95%+ will still be applicable because
Python has a good tradition of suipporting backwards compatibility.

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor