[Tutor] Module Thread

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Oct 27 12:04:32 CEST 2005

Joseph Quigley wrote:
> I'm back to my IRC client. I accidentally found the thread module in the
> Python 2.3 documentation while looking at the time module.

Wow, threads are in the air this month! You should use the threading module, not thread. threading is higher-level and more capable. Take a look at the recent list archives for some hints.

> What I can't get ideas or hints from the documentation is:
> 	What will i do to receive and send at the same time via console?

You will need two threads, the main application thread and one you start. One thread will listen for user input at the console, the other will listen for remote input from a socket.

> or:
> 	Should I forget the idea of a console and start learning GUI which will
> do this for me.
>
> and lastly:
> 	Should I have a program that handles all the sending and receiving and
> puts it into a file and have to sub programs one that will write to the
> file that the main program will read and send and one that just reads
> the file which is received data.

No, I don't think that will help.

Kent

--