[Tutor] (no subject)

Andrew P grouch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:40:06 CET 2005

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Pythonwin debugger spitting messages
to the interactive prompt.  I just used it to step through your your
games framework example :)

Being the first time I'd used any Python debugger, it didn't occur to
me that the look of it was non-standard.

I actually got the same exceptions popping up running his code, even
after fixing the problems I pointed out.  I figured the debugger shows
caught exceptions.  I noticed it before and hadn't given it much
thought, but looking at his code, there are try/except pairs in all
the spots the debugger highlighted:

from ftplib:

try:
    import SOCKS; socket = SOCKS; del SOCKS # import SOCKS as socket
    from socket import getfqdn; socket.getfqdn = getfqdn; del getfqdn
except ImportError:
    import socket

from os.py:

def _get_exports_list(module):
    try:
        return list(module.__all__)
    except AttributeError:
        return [n for n in dir(module) if n[0] != '_']

and socket.py:

try:
    import _ssl
    from _ssl import *
    _have_ssl = True
except ImportError:
    pass

Thats why I suspect that this:

File "c:\temp\ftp_put_hub.py", line 9, in ?
    ftp = ftplib.FTP('ftp.website.com')   # connect to host, default port

Was the only real error being thrown.