[Tutor] Program to lock folders under win32

Byron byron at christianfreebies.com
Sun Sep 4 14:42:09 CEST 2005

Oliver Maunder wrote:
> There's a program called Magic Folders which does this -
> http://www.pc-magic.com/des.htm#mf
> This actually hides the folders, rather than locking them.  However,  it
> seems to be integrated with the operating system at a very low level. I
> don't think you'd be able to get this kind of integration with a Python
> program.

Hi Oliver,

Yeah, Magic Folders used to be a favorite program of mine.  Only problem
(that I knew it used to have -- the problem still might be there, not
sure) is that if you used any of the Windows "repair" or maintenance
tools on your system, such as defrag or diskscan, you can lose your data.

Magic Folders creates a file system on the hard drive that "looks" like
lost clusters.  Because of this, Windows jumps in and tries to "fix" it
for you.  Not good!  ;-)

Byron
---