[Tutor] mod_python on OS X

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 5 13:53:16 CEST 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Jan Eden wrote:

> I just tried installing mod_python on OS X (10.3.9). Installation went
> fine, and Apache starts up without complaining:
>
> Apache/2.0.53 (Unix) DAV/2 PHP/5.0.1 mod_python/3.1.4 Python/2.4.1
> mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.1 configured -- resuming normal operations
>
> But when trying to actually use mod_python, I get:
>
> [Sat Sep 03 23:01:52 2005] [notice] child pid 2334 exit signal Bus error (10)
> [Sat Sep 03 23:01:53 2005] [notice] child pid 2333 exit signal Bus error (10)
>
> I searched the mod_python mailing list archives, but all hints and
> suggestions pointed to the installation stage.

Hi Jan,

Hmmm... Try posting that onto the mod-python mailing list.  Bus Error
indicates a low-level issue, and probably does mean that somthing got
messed up during the installation.  (But it could also mean a bug in
mod_python: it's so hard to tell since it's a C extension.  *sigh*)

It looks that you have a locally customized verison of Python on your
system.  (As far as I know, Apple doesn't package Python 2.4 yet)  Did you
make sure to install mod_python by using that customized Python, rather
than the system default?

The folks on the mod_python mailing list will probably know more about
this, so I'd strongly recommend asking them: