[Tutor] Combining dictionaries

bob bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Wed Sep 7 05:43:27 CEST 2005

At 04:14 PM 9/6/2005, Mike Cheponis wrote:
>On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Danny Yoo wrote:[snip]
>
>How can I actively help fix these Python bugs?

I am concerned when you use the term "bugs". The behaviors you describe are
part of the design of Python, and they work as designed. To me a bug is a
failure of something to work as designed.

<dig> Microsoft has much more practice designing things that don't work as
designed than the Python development team. </dig> Even as I attempt to type
this I am reminded that Eudora also has a lot of experience delivering
buggy (or at least user-unfriendly) software.

How to influence the evolution of Python?

0 - subclass things that you wish behaved the way you want, then write
magic methods e.g. __add__ and __radd__ to provide new behavior for +.

1 - develop modules that add features. Promote them thru sourceforge or
Useless Python or the Vaults of Parnassus or the Python Cookbook, and
certainly thru this e-mail list.

2 - write PEPs. See http://www.python.org/peps/ for the PEPs written to
date. Someplace there's a PEP writing guideline, but I don't know where.
Some PEPs make it into the language.