[Tutor] Download an image of a site?

Joseph Quigley cpu.crazy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:37:24 CEST 2005

Hi,
I'm a Garfield fan and I thought that I'd make a program that would
enable me to read the online comics without opening firefox and typing
the url and waiting for all the other junk to load. Here's my code:

# import modules
import time
import urllib2

class data:
     # Define time and date
     todays_date = time.localtime(time.time())
     dayNum = time.strftime("%d", todays_date)
     monthNum = time.strftime("%m", todays_date)
     yearNum = time.strftime("%y", todays_date)
     yearNumFull = time.strftime("%Y", todays_date)

     # Define url and it's components
     stripName ="http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/%s/ga" % (yearNumFull)
     c_strip = "%s%s%s%s.gif" % (stripName, yearNum, monthNum, dayNum)
     f = ""

# Other info
c_strip_download = "Downloading Today's Garfield..."

# Errors
urllib2_URLError = """Temporary failure in name resolution.
This means that you may not be online or the site is down.
You may want to try again later."""

# Enough defining lets get our hands dirty.
try:
     data.f = urllib2.urlopen(data.c_strip)
except  urllib2.URLError:
     print urllib2_URLError

data.f.save("%s%s%s.gif" % (data.yearNum, data.monthNum, data.dayNum))

data.f.get()

I would like to know how to save the image to the computer's hard
drive. Is it something like f.save("%s%s%s.gif" % (yearNum, monthNum,
dayNum)) ?
thanks,
    Joseph