[Tutor] IDEs

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Wed Sep 14 18:22:05 CEST 2005

* Matt Williams <matthew.williams at cancer.org.uk> [050914 07:27]:
> I've used both PyDev and Wing IDE.
>
> PyDev seems good, and is getting better.
> Wing is pay-for (although only $40 or so), but can be trialled. I thought
> it was good, but had a huge problem trying to get it to play with a C library
> I was using...
>
> I've never managed to get Boa-Constructor to run...
>
> As regards using wxPython - I thought it was ok, but frankly Glade was soooo
> much easier..

  I use both (g)vim and emacs/Xemacs. You can compile the python
  interpreter directly into vim and that gives you access to all kinds
  of goodies from the vim community.

  The two forks of emacs both support a full-blown programming language
  of their own (elisp) that gives you in many ways a "mini-os" at
  your fingertips.

  And with Xemacs you can even have bitmaps for your backgroud, but
  of course that can be distracting, if you are (for instance) coding
  over the top of Mariah Carey.

  For Windows, the finest Shareware edit IMHO is Boxer.
  But if I programmed only in Python and only on windows, I'd
  use PythonWin.

  MTCW
  tim

--