[Tutor] FW: Re: USB Capture Image WebCAM

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 23 00:29:07 CEST 2005

> I have downloaded videoCapture but I can't make it run. This is the error I
> get when I try run the example
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\Daron
> Malakian\Desktop\VideoCapture-0.9\Tools\webcam-uploader\webcam-uploader.py",
> line 130, in ?
>     cam = VideoCapture.Device(devnum=devnum)
>   File "C:\Python23\lib\VideoCapture.py", line 49, in __init__
>     self.dev = vidcap.new_Dev(devnum, showVideoWindow)
> Error: Capture Graph could not be created.

Hi Alberto,

You may want to talk with the developer of the VideoCapture module
software.  I don't know what's going on here.  Testing this is also
complicated because I don't have a webcam or Windows.

Wait, let's back up a moment.  You mentioned earlier that:

Does this mean then that you already have a program that saves webcam
images to disk?

If so, then if we know what graphical format they are, then perhaps we
might be able to use PIL to convert them into a format that your favorite
GUI toolkit can display.  PIL can talk with different graphical formats:

    http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

Tkinter integrates with this:

    http://effbot.org/zone/tkinter-plot.htm

And wxpython + PIL also appears to work:

    http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/WorkingWithImages