[Tutor] How to install python on to a remote apache server

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 23 02:05:03 CEST 2005

> I'd like to write some internet applications but I don't know how to
> test them unless I have python on my server. However, It's running
> Apache 1.3.3 and it's a remote one (I'm in the Americas and it's in
> Europe) so I don't know how to access it. I also would like to know what
> platform of python to download. Is there a special server edition? Or do
> I just use a regular Linux edition?

Hi Joseph,

Any version of Python should be fine: the higher, the better, just because
of the improvements to the Standard Library.  The work though will
probably be mostly on the Apache end of things.  You'll be better off
asking the Apache folks for help in setting up Python as a server
language.

For Apache 1.3, the documentation in:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/cgi.html

will be useful for whoever needs to configure Apache on your remote
server.

For testing, you may want explore using Apache locally on your machine, or
you can even use CGIHTTPServer:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-CGIHTTPServer.html