[Tutor] web development

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Sep 28 13:47:34 CEST 2005

Don Jennings wrote:
> what I would really like to know are how people decided to use any
> particular framework.

Well I stumbled into Jython / Velocity over many years. My first web application was written in Java + servlets using the Jetty servlet engine. At first I didn't use any template engine and discovered the pain of manual HTML generation. Eventually I found Velocity and came to love it. At some point I learned Python and Jython and figured out that using Jython to write the servlet and Velocity for the view made for very agile web site development.

More recently I have completed a small project using CherryPy. My selection process for this was based on requirements and personal preference. I was writing a tool that would be distributed in my company so setup had to be easy. For this reason I wanted a framework that included a standalone webserver rather than requiring Apache. The tool could conceivably be distributed as a proprietary product so I avoided frameworks that are GPL licensed. These two requirements narrowed the field considerably. I also wanted XML-RPC support which is included with CherryPy. I have wanted to try it out so I gave it a go.

Kent