[Tutor] file?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 09:47:07 CEST 2006

> How can we know that one specific file is already exist in filesystem?
> for instance, I want to read zipfile by issuing code:

Take a look in the os.path module.

There is explanation of how to check for various aspects of files
(including existence) in my web tutor Operating System topic.

> if the inputfilename doesn't exist then an error would be occurred.
> I want to catch up this special case first.

The other approach, implied in your question is simply to
*try* to *open* for read:

try: open(inputfilename)
except IOError: # it presumably didn't exist, so deal with it

HTH,

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor