[Tutor] failing to learn python

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Mon Apr 10 19:20:57 CEST 2006

Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:05:45AM -0400, Kent Johnson wrote:
>
>> You might like to look at "Python Programming for the absolute
>> beginner". It is oriented to beginners and has many examples and
>> exercises.
>>

> I might not be able to afford another book, due to high dollar-to-ruppee
> rate.
>

>> What kind of real life problems are you interested in? You might like
>>

> I am a parttime sys admin so I want system admin problem which usually I
> do through shell scripts like parsing logs, generating reports, greping
> with regexes etc.
> The only thing I don't want is silly problems like generate fibonnacci
> series, add numbers frm 0-n etc. non required silly stuff.
When I hear the word "silly" I assume that you are comfortable with
programming in Python, and do not need the examples that are useful to
beginners, and want access to libraries of code for doing the tasks you
described.

So I suggest you look at Python's remarkable set of modules. In the docs
you'll find Global Module Index. Start with re for regular expressions,
glob & shutil for some file management, os for more file and process
management. Some of these have some example code. Select ONE task of
interest to you, make your best stab at writing a Python program using
the module, then come back with the program and tell us how we can help
you with it.

If my assumption is inaccurate, and you do need help with the
fundamentals of Python, then I suggest you tackle some of the
assignments in the references you have *as a way of becoming comfortable
with Python*, then tackle the modules I mentioned.

Someone else on this list may point you to online learning resources
that will meet your need for more information at low-to-no cost.

HTH