[Tutor] Question about list

Matthew White mwhite3 at ttsd.k12.or.us
Tue Apr 11 00:49:45 CEST 2006

Hi Hoffman,

It is often useful to use the "for" construct to process items in a list.
e.g.:

>>> list1 =  [ 'spam!', 2, ['Ted', 'Rock']]
>>> for item in list:
...    print item
spam!
2
['Ted', 'Rock']

If you pass a list to the len() function, it will return the number of
elenents in the list. e.g.:

>>> x = ['a', 'b', 'c']
>>> len(x)
3

Now if you pass len() a string it will return the length of a string:
>>> y = 'hello'
>>> len(y)
5

Given your list below, len() will return what you're looking for when it
encounters the third element of the list, but won't for the first and
second elements.  One way to solve this problem is to use the type()
function to figure out if your item is a string or list and use len()
as appropriate.  I hope this provides enough of a hint.

-mtw