[Tutor] Decorators

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Apr 11 20:21:22 CEST 2006

Alan Gauld wrote:
>> proposal for dynamic function overloading:
>> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=155514
>
> I really don't like this proposal nor many of the others that currently
> exist to seemingly turn Python into Java and C++! If people want to
> code in the Java porridge let them use Java not try to turn Python
> into the same sludge.

FWIW there is enough perceived need for this (and adapters or protocols)
that it has been invented already two or three times, in PEAK (by Philip
J Eby, author of a popular "Python is not Java" rant*), Zope and twisted
IIRC. The PEAK version has been adopted by TurboGears. I think twisted
has abandoned its own effort and adopted Zope's.

So I don't think it is necessarily people who want to turn Python into
Java, but meeting a need that comes up in large projects.

Kent

* http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html