[Tutor] failing to learn python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 20:35:15 CEST 2006

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 04:20:37PM -0700, Danny Yoo wrote:
>>     http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/
>
> I will read that and Alan's tutorial too (isn't that MS-Windows specific
> ???)

Nope, it usually mentions *nix workarounds etc
Most of it is OS neutral. The OS and IPC topic are mainly
Unix centric.

> without proving it at all. All the examples I wanted were done better in
> shell/sed/awk.

I use Python a lot but I still use sed and awk for what they are good at.
Using the Right Tool for the Job is still a sound maxim.

Python is a general programmjing language great for bigger jobs.
If you just want to run a sequience of unix commands shell is better.
If you want simple but bulk text manipulation awk or sed are best.

Alan G.