[Tutor] Explanation of Lists data Type

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Wed Apr 12 11:43:11 CEST 2006

On Wed, April 12, 2006 2:42 pm, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f'] ----> I didnot understood this

I remember you once asked another question related to sequence slices and
I mentioned the effects of slicing with no indices. You sure you're
reading the replies? ;)

When you leave an index in the slice argument, it will assume that you
meant the maximum (or minimum as the case may be) possible.

For example.
>>> foo = ['a','b','c','d','e']
>>> foo[2]   #Element at index 2
'c'
>>> foo[2:]  #Elements from index two till the end
['c', 'd', 'e']
>>> foo[:2]  #Elements from the beginning till index 2.
['a', 'b']

Now, when you give a [:] to the slice operator, you get a copy of the
original list. This is shown below

>>> bar = foo[:]  #bar contains a copy of foo
>>> baz = foo     #baz is an alias for foo (not a copy)
>>> baz is foo    #Are baz and foo the same?
True              #Yes they are
>>> bar is foo    #Are bar and foo the same?
False             #No they're not. It's a copy remember?
>>> bar[2]="test" #Change element at index 2 of bar to "test"
>>> bar           # Print it
['a', 'b', 'test', 'd', 'e'] # It's changed
>>> foo                      # Has foo changed as well?
['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e']    # Nope. Because bar is a copy of foo.
>>> baz[2]="test"            # Now we change element at index 2 of baz.
>>> baz                      # Has baz changed?
['a', 'b', 'test', 'd', 'e'] # Of course. :)
>>> foo                      # Has foo changed?
['a', 'b', 'test', 'd', 'e'] # Yes. Since baz was an alias of foo.

I trust this clears things up.

Also, try not to use "list" as a variable name since it's a builtin.

--
-NI