[Tutor] failing to learn python

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Thu Apr 13 18:55:35 CEST 2006

Greetings:

The discussion surrounding this topic (by Payal, Kent, Alan and others)
has been very interesting.  It illustrates the fact that software
engineering remains very much a craft. As with all crafts, is heavily
influenced by the preferences (style if you will) of the individual
artisan.  There are very few 'right or wrong' answers here.

The tool that works well and feels comfortable when used is the one that
should be used.  When a new tool comes along, try it out.  If it makes
the work easier or faster, or the product better, then use it.  If not,
forget it.  The product is the goal, not the tool.

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107
________________________
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed

<<snip>>

> > For me, I don't know those specialized tools and I have chosen not
> > learn them because I don't often need their capabilities and Python
can
> do
> > what they do.
>
> I must admit I use a myriad of tools, including several text editors.
> Its one of the few areas where I disagree with Hunt & Thomas
> in "the Pragmatic Programmer", they advocate choosing one editor
> and using it exclusively, I use emacs, vim, xedit and even ed on
> a daily basis (OK ed only once a month or so!) But I also use
> awk and sed weekly.

<<snip>>