[Tutor] Tutor FAQ?

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Thu Apr 20 17:23:00 CEST 2006

I'd like to send a big Thank You to Danny, Alan, Kent and others(whos names
escape me) for being such an asset to the Python community by relentlessly
answering questions on the tutor list.(Do these guys sleep? They must work
in shifts.) This list is one of the most civilized and responsive lists I
have ever read. When many pop onto the list and ask what may seem like some
of the most obvious questions, you guys calmly answer and nudge them in the
right direction without ever losing your patience. It's a great list.

Anyway, I've been reading the list for a couple of years now, and I wonder
if a Tutor FAQ would be helpful. I don't believe one exists. Should there be
something on the Python wiki that would list the most common questions to
the tutor list along with their answers? It would be a FAQ about the tutor
list as well as common questions to the tutor list.

FAQ about the Tutor List would include
- The policy on answering homework assignment
- Why the reply-to is set that way.
- Post code and exact error message.
(A lot of this might be in that initial message you get from mailman when
joining the list, but it might be a good idea to put it on the wiki)

FAQ for common questions to the list would include
- ord() and chr()
- Common GUI programming questions
- String module is deprecated, use string methods
- ???

I'm sure you can come up with more of the common questions. Does this sound
like a reasonable idea?

Mike