[Tutor] Config file parsing

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Apr 20 18:42:51 CEST 2006

Tino Dai wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>      Before I start reinventing the wheel, is there any code out there
> for parsing configuration filesn in paragraph format. I am creating a
> multi-process monitor that will read in a configuration file that will

If you have control over the config file format you can use ConfigParser
in the standard lib. It reads .ini style files so you would write

You could also use one of the add-on config file readers which have more
features, for example

Another option is to make your config file be a Python module that you
just import. What you wrote is pretty close to dictionary syntax. You
could use this:
config = dict(
   apache = dict(
     process = '/usr/bin/httpd',
     # etc

The syntax is not quite as user friendly but reading it is as easy as
'import config'