[Tutor] Problem installing MySQLdb under windows

Andy Koch andy.koch at pc-doctor.com
Tue Apr 25 16:47:01 CEST 2006

Kent Johnson wrote:
> Peter Jessop wrote:
>> I am running Python 2.4.3, MySQL 5.0.
>> On trying to install MySQLdb 1.2.1 I ran into the following problem.
>> "
>> D:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\MySQLdb>setup.py build
>> running build
>> running build_py
>> copying MySQLdb\release.py -> build\lib.win32- 2.4\MySQLdb
>> running build_ext
>> error: The .NET Framework SDK needs to be installed before building
>> extensions f
>> or Python.
>>
>> "
>> Is it really necessary to install The .NET Framework SDK (354Mb) or is
>> there a simpler way?
>
> Download the windows binary, for example
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mysql-python/MySQL-python.exe-1.2.0.win32-py2.4.zip?download
>
> The latest version with a Windows build is 1.2.0.
>
> Kent

Greetings Python group,

I have a question related to the MySQLdb, I have recently installed the
1.2.0 version and it works fine.  However, I am running ver. 4.1 of
MySQL and the problem is that the python client version does not support
the new password protocol of MySQL 4.1+.  This only means that one must
go into the MySQL and set the password using the OLD_PASSWORD function
of MySQL.

The question, do any of the newer versions of MySQLdb support the new
password protocol?  And if not, are there plans to implement this?

Disclosure: this is my first post in this group, also it may be worth
noting that I'm learning python as a side effect of developing a Plone
site.  So if my python knowledge comes across as a bit warped... well,
Plone can sometimes be a strange thing ;)

Regards,

Andy Koch