[Tutor] Strange Question

GNULinuxGeek gnulinuxgeek at rochester.rr.com
Sun Apr 30 03:23:12 CEST 2006

All,

First, I think this is a wonderful list.  I always see great advice and
great attitudes about helping.

My post is not about evaluating code but instead trying to get a
reasonable judgment as to whether or not python is the best choice for
what I am trying to do.  I have not learned Python yet.  In point of
fact, I have not, as yet learned any programming language much to my dismay.

I post the process I need below.

So, here goes the work flow I need to support on my job.

   1. Person goes to a web page.
   2. The page allows them to retrieve a file from their local hard drive.
   3. They make one or two selections with check boxes or drop lists
      that define things about image resolution and preferences.
   4. They enter their E-Mail address to allow the resultant file to be
      sent back to them.
   5. They submit the graphics file (TIFF image) along with the
      selections and the file is uploaded.
   6. The code on the server drops the file in a directory created from
      the submitted file name.
   7. The Python code (cgi script?) calls another application (server
      resident) that performs processing on the graphics file.
   8. The original file, a processed "proof" file and a raw bitmap file
      are stored back in the created directory.
   9. The resultant proof file is sent back to them in an E-Mail message
      for their approval.
  10. The person would then go back to another page and "OK" the file
      and then the processed image would be sent to yet another E-Mail
      address.

Does anyone see a problem with Python doing this?  Also, from my
knowledge position in programming and in Python (zero), should I attempt
this?

Thanks, Best Regards, and keep up the great work,

Ralph